Polymers for medical and related applications: Synthesis, characterization and modification of polymers of biological and medical interest. Microspheres, microparticles, nanoparticles and polymer drug conjugates for controlled drug delivery. Polymer therapeutics for infectious diseases. Hydrogels for wound dressing, tissue engineering and drug delivery. Polymers for bacterial resistance. In situ forming hydrogels as surgical adhesives. Surface engineering of polymers for enhanced tissue and blood compatibility. Polymers with radiocontrast properties for X-ray imaging and polymer conjugates for MRI.
- Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, April 2007-Present.
- Vice Chancellor, University of Kerala, Trivandrum, Kerala, India, December 15, 2008 to December 14, 2012 (On lien)
- Vice Chancellor-in charge, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin, Kerala, India, February 22, 2009 to January 4, 2010
- Scientist and Head, Polymer Chemistry Division, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, India, October 1985 to April 2007.
- Visiting Professor, Department of Biomechanics, Ecole Polytechnique Federal de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Visiting Scientist, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Paris-Sud (Paris XI), Chateney-Malabry, France.
- JSPS Invitation Fellow, Department of Applied Chemistry, Toyo University, Saitama, Japan..
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA.
- British Council Scholar, Institute of Medical and Dental Bioengineering, University of Liverpool, England.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Biomedical Engineering Center, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA.
- Synthetic polysaccharides as drug carriers: Synthesis of polyglucose-amphotericin B conjugates and in vitro evaluation of their anti-fungal and anti-leishmanial activities, V. Ravichandran, G. P. Kothandaraman, C. Bories, P. M. Loiseau, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Nanosci. Nanotech, 18, 2405-2414, 2018.
- Ceramic core with polymer corona hybrid nanocarrier for the treatment of osteosarcoma with co-delivery of protein and anti-cancer drug, S. R. Prasad, T. S Sampath Kumar, A Jayakrishnan, Nanotechnology, 29, 015101, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/aa9a21
- Tyrosine-derived novel antimicrobial hydantoin polymers: synthesis and evaluation of antibacterial activities V. Ravichandran, R. K. Rai, V. Kesavan, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Biomat. Sci., Polym. Ed., 28, 2131-2142, 2018.
- Synthesis and evaluation of anti-fungal activities of sodium alginate-amphotericin B conjugates, V. Ravichandran, A. Jayakrishnan, Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.11.030
- A novel injectable tissue adhesive based on oxidized dextran and chitosan, B. Balakrishnan, D. Soman, U. Payanam, A. Laurent, D. Labarre , A. Jayakrishnan. Acta Biomaterialia, 53, 343–354, 2017.
- A floating type dosage form of repaglinide in polycarbonate microspheres, S. Kumaraswamy , S. R. Thangasundaralingam, R. Sekar, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Drug. Deliv .Sci. Tech., 41, 99-105, 2017
- Anti-fungal and anti-leishmanial activities of pectin-amphotericin B conjugates, G. P. Kothandaraman , V. Ravichandran , C. Bories, P. M. Loiseau , A. Jayakrishnan, J. Drug. Deliv. Sci. Tech., 39, 1-7, 2017
- Self-crosslinked oxidized alginate/gelatin hydrogel as injectable, adhesive biomimetic scaffolds for cartilage regeneration, B. Balakrishnan, N. Joshi, A. Jayakrishnan , R. Banerjee, Acta Biomaterialia, 10, 3650–3663, 2014.
- Degradable alginate hydrogels crosslinked by macromolecular crosslinker alginate dialdehyde, A. Jejurikar, X. T. Seow, G. Lawrie, D. Martin, A. Jayakrishnan, L. Grondahl, J. Mater. Chem., 22, 9751-9758, 2012.
- Synthesis and photopolymerization of Tween 20 methacrylate-N-vinyl-2- pyrrolidone blends, A. C. Borges, A. Jayakrishnan, P-E. Bourban, C. J. G. Plummer, D. P. Pioletti, J. E. Månson, Mater Sci Engg C, 32, 2235-2241, 2012.
- Evaluation of alginate dialdehyde cross-linked gelatin hydrogel as a biodegradable sealant for polyester vascular graft, S. Manju, C. V. Muraleedharan, A. Rajeev, A. Jayakrishnan, R. Joseph, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B: Appl. Biomat. 988, 139-149, 2011.
- Studies on novel radiopaque methyl methacrylate: glycidyl methacracrylate based polymer for biomedical applications, S. Dawlee, A. Jayakrishnan, M. Jayabalan, J. Mater. Sci., Mater. Med., 20, S243-S250, 2009.
- Synthesis and characterization of iodinated polyurethane with inherent radiopacity, S.Kiran, N. R. James, R. Joseph, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 1-8, 2009
- A photochemical method for immobilization of dextran onto poly(ethylene terephthalate) surfaces, V. T. Bhat, N. R. James, A. Jayakrishnan, Polymer Int., 57, 124-132, 2008.
- Amphotericin B-gum arabic conjugates: synthesis, toxicity, bioavailability, and activities against leishmania and fungi, K. K. Nishi, M. Antony, P. V. Mohanan, T. V. Anilkumar, P. M. Loiseau, A. Jayakrishnan, Pharm. Res., 24, 971, 2007.
- Synthesis and evaluation of ampicillin-conjugated gum arabic microspheres for sustained release, K. K. Nishi, M. Antony, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 59, 485, 2007.
- Self-gelling primaquine-gum arabic conjugate: An injectable controlled delivery system for primaquine, K. K. Nishi, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomacromolecules, 8, 84, 2007.
- Evaluation of the effect of incorporation of dibutyryl cyclic adenosine monophosphate in an in situ forming hydrogel wound dressing based on oxidized alginate and gelatin, B. Balakrishnan, M. Mohanty, A. C. Fernandez, P. V. Mohanan and A. Jayakrishnan Biomaterials, 27, 1355, 2006.
- Polyurethanes with radiopaque properties, Nirmala R James, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials 27, 160, 2006.
- Evaluation of an in situ forming hydrogel wound dressing based on oxidized alginate and gelatin, Biji Balakrishnan, M. Mohanty, P. R. Umashankar, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 32, 6335, 2005.
- Oxidized chondroitin sulphate-cross-linked gelatin matrices: A new class of hydrogels, S. Dawlee, A. Sugandhi, Biji Balakrishnan, D. Labarre, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomacromolecules, 6, 2040, 2005.
- Tween 20-modified poly(vinyl chloride) exhibits enhanced blood-compatibility, Biji Balakrishnan, N. R. James and A. Jayakrishnan, Polymer International 54, 1304, 2005.
- Self-crosslinking biopolymers as injectable, in-situ forming biodegradable scaffolds, Biji Balakrishnan, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 26, 3941, 2005.
- Chemical modification of poly(vinyl chloride) resin with poly(ethylene glycol) for enhanced blood-compatibility, Biji Balakrishnan, D.S. Kumar, Y. Yoshida, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 26, 3495, 2005.
- Preparation and evaluation of primaquine-conjugated gum arabic microspheres, K. K. Nishi, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomacromolecules, 5, 1489, 2004.
- Surface thiocyanation of plasticized poly(vinyl chloride) and its effect on bacterial adhesion, Nirmala R. James and A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 24, 2205, 2003.
- Properties and performance of sulphide-substituted plasticized poly(vinyl chloride) as a biomaterial, S. Lakshmi, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., Part B, 65, 204, 2003.
- Synthesis and polymerization of new iodine-containing monomer, S. Lakshmi, Nirmala R. James, V. S. Nisha, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Appl. Polym. Sci ., 88, 2580, 2003.
- Synthesis, surface properties and performance of thiosulphate-substituted plasticized poly(vinyl chloride), S. Lakshmi, A. Jayakrishnan, Biomaterials, 23, 4855, 2002.
- A floating-type oral dosage form for piroxicam based on hollow polycarbonate microspheres: In vitro and In vivo evaluation in rabbits, N. J. Joseph, S. Lakshmi, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Control. Rel. 79, 71, 2002.
- Bacterial adhesion onto azidated poly(vinyl chloride) surfaces, S. Lakshmi, S. S. Pradeep Kumar, A. Jayakrishnan, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 61, 26, 2002.
- Progesterone release from glutaraldehyde cross-linked casein microspheres: In vitro studies and in vivo response in rabbits, M. S. Latha, A. V. Lal, T.V. Kumary, R. Sreekumar, A. Jayakrishnan, Contraception, 61, 333, 2000.
- Immobile plasticizer in flexible PVC, A. Jayakrishnan, S. Lakshmi, Nature, 396, 638, 1998.
Selected Chapters in Books
- Injectable Hydrogels for Biomedical Applications, B. Balakrishnan and A. Jayakrishnan, in Injectable Hydrogels for Regenerative Engineering, Lakshmi S. Nair Ed, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, 2016. Chapter 2, pp. 33-96.
- Polymer microspheres for endovascular embolization. A. Jayakrishnan, S. Joseph, A.K. Gupta, A.S. Rao, in Microspheres, Microcapsules and Liposomes, Vol 2: Medical and Biotechnology Applications, R. Arshady, Ed., Citus Books, London, 1999.
- Amphiphilic Functional Microgels. Reza Arshady, Benedetto Corain, Marco Zecca, A. Jayakrishnan, Daniel Horák, in Functional Polymer Colloids & Microparticles, Reza Arshady, Alain Guyot, Eds., Citus Books, London, 2002.
- Poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) Hydrogels. Preparation and Properties, Daniel Horak, A. Jayakrishnan, Reza Arshady, Vol. 1, Chapter 2, PMS Series, R. Arshady, Ed., Citus Books, London, 2003.
- Dextran and pentosan sulphate-Clinical applications, R. Parthasarathy and A. Jayakrishnan, Chapter 6, in Biodegradable Polymers in Clinical Use and Clinical Development, Avi Domb, Neeraj Kumar and Avia Azra Eds., Wiley, 2011.
- Biocompatible and biodegradable polymer matrix, A. Jayakrishnan, D. Labarre, A. Laurent, B. Balakrishnan, P. R. Umasankar, EP Patent, 2,231,134, 2010. Assigned to CEFIPRA, New Delhi.
- Biocompatible and biodegradable polymer matrix, A. Jayakrishnan, D. Labarre, A. Laurent, B. Balakrishnan, P. R. Umasankar, W.O. Patent, WO/2009/072,146, 2009. Assigned to CEFIPRA, New Delhi.
- Biocompatible and biodegradable polymer matrix, A. Jayakrishnan, D. Labarre, A. Laurent, B. Balakrishnan, P. R. Umasankar, US Patent Appl., 12/746,625, 2008. Assigned to CEFIPRA, New Delhi.
- A novel examination booklet design, A. Jayakrishnan, Indian Patent Application 3181/CHE/2009, Assigned to University of Kerala.
- Alginate dialdehyde crosslinked gelatin and a process for the preparation thereof, B. Balakrishnan, A. Jayakrishnan, Indian Patent Application No. 921/MAS/2002 of 11.12.02, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- A process for grafting poly(ethylene glycol) onto the surface of plasticized poly(vinyl chloride), A. Jayakrishnan, S. Lakshmi, Indian Patent 183743, 1997, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- Process for preparation of calcium caseinate beads and granules containing any oral drug, A. Jayakrishnan, Indian Patent 181854, 1996, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- Double umbrella occluder device for cardiovascular applications, K.R. Mandalam, A. Jayakrishnan, Indian Patent 184338, 1995, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- Migration resistant plasticized poly(vinyl chloride), A. Jayakrishnan (Indian Patent Application 709/MAS/95 dated 13.06.1995 Assigned to SCTIMST.
- A process for producing improved migration resistant plasticized poly(vinyl chloride), V.K. Krishnan, A. Jayakrishnan, J.D. Francis. Indian Patent 178044, 1992, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- A process for the preparation of uncrosslinked and crosslinked PMMA microspheres, A.Jayakrishnan, B.C. Thanoo. Indian Patent 179451, 1991, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- A process for preparation of hydrogel beads from poly(methyl methacrylate), A. Jayakrishnan, B.C. Thanoo, Indian Patent 182221, 1991, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- A process for the manufacture of spherical, highly porous beads of polymers of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate (PHEMA), A. Jayakrishnan, B.C. Thanoo. Indian Patent 177753, 1990, Assigned to SCTIMST.
- Viscoelastic material for ophthalmic surgery, E.P. Goldberg, A. Jayakrishnan, M. Yalon, US Patent, 4,819,617, 1989.
- Member, International Editorial Board of the International Journal Biomaterials, Published by Elsevier Science Ltd., United Kingdom (1996-2009).
- Member, International Editorial Board, Regenerative Engineering and Translational Medicine, Springer, USA
- Member, Honorary Advisory Board, Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, American Scientific Publishers, USA
- Member, International Editorial Board of Open Biomaterials Journal, Published by Bentham, USA.
- Member, International Editorial Board, Microspheres, Microcapsules and Liposomes, Reference Series, Citus Books, London.
- Member, International Editorial Board, Polymeric Biomaterials, Reference Series, Citus Books, London.
Selected Web Pages:
Memberships in Professional Bodies
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi (Elected 2016)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore (Elected 2001).
- Member, American Chemical Society (Up to 2007)
- Life‑Member, Society for Biomaterials & Artificial Organs (India)
- Life-Member, Society of Polymer Science (India).
- Life-Member, Materials Research Society of India.
- Founder Vice President, Asian Polymer Association, 2007.