Ph.D., Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, US
B.V.Sc. & A.H., Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, TN, India
Cardiometabolic and Neuromodulation Research Laboratory
The research in our laboratory focuses on unraveling the molecular mechanisms involved in the development of cardiovascular diseases and metabolic syndrome. We work on lipid mediator prostanoids and Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARPs), family of enzymes that catalyze the transfer of ADP-ribose and help in cellular process such as DNA repair, genomic stability, and programmed cell death. The dynamic interplay between nervous system, immune system, and cardiovascular system in relation to disease development is our main focus.
- Cardiovascular biology
- Treatment strategies for hypertension and heart failure
- Metabolic syndrome, obesity, diabetes, and diabetic retinopathy
- Nerve recording and neuromodulation
- Transgenic mouse models
- Human exercise physiology
Research opportunity: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV
- 279. O72PRV: System and Method for Controlling Blood Pressure. Craig Stolen, Bryan Clark, Manda L Keller-Ross, Ninitha Asirvatham-Jeyaraj, Daniel Chantigian. Application filed on 17-05-2019.
- Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Gauthier MM, Banek CT, Ramesh A, Garver H, Fink GD, Osborn JW. Renal denervation and celiac ganglionectomy decrease mean arterial pressure similarly in genetically hypertensive Schlager (BPH/2J) mice.Hypertension. 2021 Feb; 77(2):519-528.
- Balasubramanian P, Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Monteiro R, Sivasubramanian MK, Hall D, Subramanian M. Obesity-induced sympathoexcitation is associated with Nrf2 dysfunction in the rostral ventrolateral medulla.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2020 Feb 1;318(2):R435-R444.
- Larson M, Chantigian DP, Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Van de Winckel A, Keller-Ross ML. Slow-paced breathing and autonomic function in people post-stroke.Front Physiol. 2020 Oct 30;11:573325.
- Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N*, Jones AD, Burnett R, Fink GD.Brain prostaglandin D2 Increases neurogenic pressor activity and mean arterial pressure in angiotensin II-salt hypertensive rats.Hypertension 2019 Dec;74(6):1499-1506.(* Corresponding author)
- Banek CT, Gauthier MM, Baumann DC, Van Helden D, Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Fink GD, Osborn JW. Targeted afferent renal denervation reduces arterial pressure but not renal inflammation in established DOCA-salt hypertension in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2018 Jun 1;314(6):R883-R891.
- MohanKumar SM, Rajendran TD, Vyas AK, Hoang V, Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Veiga-Lopez A, Olivier NB, Padmanabhan V, MohanKumar PS. Effects of prenatal bisphenol-A exposure and postnatal overfeeding on cardiovascular function in female sheep. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2017 Feb;8(1):65-74.
- Banek CT, Knuepfer MM, Foss JD, Fiege JK, Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Van Helden D, Shimizu Y, Osborn JW. Resting afferent renal nerve discharge and renal Inflammation: Elucidating the role of afferent and efferent renal nerves in deoxycorticosterone acetate salt hypertension. Hypertension. 2016 Dec;68(6):1415-1423.
- Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, Fiege JK, Han R, Foss J, Banek CT, Burbach BJ, Razzoli M, Bartolomucci A, Shimizu Y, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Osborn JW. Renal denervation normalizes arterial pressure with no effect on glucose metabolism or renal Inflammation in obese hypertensive mice. Hypertension. 2016 Oct;68(4):929-36.
- Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N*, Fink GD. Possible role for brain prostanoid pathways in the development of angiotensin II-salt hypertension in rats.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2016 Aug 1;311(2):R232-42.(* Corresponding author)
- Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N*, King AJ, Northcott CA, Madan S, Fink GD. Cyclooxygenase-1 inhibition attenuates angiotensin II-salt hypertension and neurogenic pressor activity in the rat. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013 Nov 15;305(10):H1462-70. (* Corresponding author)
- Ninitha AJ, Kirubaharan JJ, Babu SS, Purushothaman V. Assessment of vaccination response against Newcastle disease virus in turkey and other ducks. Indian Vet. J. 2009; 86 (1).