DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
Bhupat and Jyoti Mehta School of Biosciences
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Research activities in the Department of Biotechnology are wide-ranging, reflecting the diversity of modern biotechnology. The department provides an ideal milieu for interdisciplinary collaborative research and interaction between students and faculty. The major research areas include Alternate Energy, Biomaterials, Bioprocess Engineering, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Green Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology, Cancer Biology, Molecular Virology, Plant Developmental Biology and Protein Structure Function Studies, among others. The research activities of faculty members are well-funded through extra-mural research funding from government agencies such as CSIR, DAE, DBT, DST, MHRD, DRDO and ICMR.
Faculty members hold several patents and are involved in active industrial consultancy. Several collaborative and technology transfer projects are currently running with industries such as Reliance Life Science Pvt. Ltd, Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, Shantha Biotech and Nagarjuna Chemicals and Fertilizers, to name a few. The department also has collaborative research projects with hospitals such as Apollo Hospitals, Dr Mohan’s Diabetes Specialty Center, Madras Medical Mission and Frontier Lifeline.
The Department of Biotechnology encourages applicants from a wide range of specializations for admissions to the research programs. Research here is highly interdisciplinary and applicants with degrees/strong background in physical sciences or chemical sciences or mathematical and computational sciences are strongly encouraged to apply.
- (2014) Synthesis and SAR study of novel anticancer and antimicrobial naphthoquinone amide derivatives Bioorg. med. chem. lett. 24(15):3647-3651
- (2014) Self-crosslinked oxidized alginate/gelatin hydrogel as injectable, adhesive biomimetic scaffolds for cartilage regeneration Acta biomater 10(8):3650-3663
- (2014) Biosynthesis of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol with Lactobacillus reuteri: Effect of operating variables J. biosci. bioeng. 118(2):188-194
- (2014) Purification and Characterization of Novel Halo-Acid-Alkali-Thermo-stable Xylanase from Gracilibacillus sp. TSCPVG Appl. biochem. biotechnol. 173(6):1375-1390
- (2014) GAP: towards almost 100 percent prediction for β-strand-mediated aggregating peptides with distinct morphologies Bioinformatics 30(14):1983-1990
- (2014) Disaggregation induced solvatochromic switch: a study of dansylated polyglycerol dendrons in binary solvent mixture Spectrochim acta a mol biomol spectrosc 128:351-356
- (2014) Utilization of whole cell mediated deracemization in a chemoenzymatic synthesis of enantiomerically enriched polycyclic chromeno[4,3-b] pyrrolidines Org. biomol. chem. 12(26):4682-4690
- (2014) Phytochemicals as Inhibitors of Bacterial Cell Division Protein FtsZ: Coumarins Are Promising Candidates Appl. biochem. biotechnol.
- (2014) Ratio of intracellular precursors concentration and their flux influences hyaluronic acid molecular weight in Streptococcus zooepidemicus and recombinant Lactococcus lactis Bioresour. technol. 163:222-227
- (2014) Chromosomal integration of hyaluronic acid synthesis (has) genes enhances the molecular weight of hyaluronan produced in Lactococcus lactis Biotechnol j
- (2014) Snail interacts with hPLSCR1 promoter and down regulates its expression in IMR-32 Biochem. biophys. res. commun. 450(1):172-177
- (2014) Why Are the Truncated Cyclin Es More Effective CDK2 Activators than the Full-Length Isoforms? Biochemistry 53(28):4612-4624
- (2014) MiR-29b downregulates canonical Wnt signaling by targeting BCL9L and other coactivators of β-catenin in human colorectal cancer cells J. cell. biochem.
- (2014) Friction stir processing of magnesium-nanohydroxyapatite composites with controlled in vitro degradation behavior Mater sci eng c mater biol appl 39:315-324
- (2014) Organocatalytic asymmetric decarboxylative cyanomethylation of isatins using L-proline derived bifunctional thiourea Org. biomol. chem. 12(24):4186-4191
- (2014) N-terminal proline-rich domain is required for scrambling activity of human phospholipid scramblases J. biol. chem. 289(19):13206-13218
- (2014) Evidence for the sequential folding mechanism in RNase H from an ensemble-based model J phys chem b 118(19):5050-5058
- (2014) Hybridization alters spontaneous mutation rates in a parent-of-origin-dependent fashion in Arabidopsis Plant physiol. 165(1):424-437
- (2014) Evolutionary history of the neuropeptide S receptor/neuropeptide S system Gen. comp. endocrinol.
- (2014) UVA-induced reset of hydroxyl radical ultradian rhythm improves temporal lipid production in Chlorella vulgaris Biotechnol. prog. 30(3):673-680
- (2014) Plumbagin Downregulates Wnt Signaling Independent of p53 in Human Colorectal Cancer Cells J. nat. prod.
- (2014) HPV16 E2-mediated potentiation of NF-κB activation induced by TNF-α involves parallel activation of STAT3 with a reduction in E2-induced apoptosis Mol. cell. biochem.
- (2014) Nanofibers coated on acellular tissue-engineered bovine pericardium supports differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells into endothelial cells for tissue engineering Nanomedicine (lond) 9(5):623-634
- (2014) Self-assembly of surfactin in aqueous solution: role of divalent counterions Colloids surf b biointerfaces 116:396-402
- (2014) Feature selection and classification of protein-protein complexes based on their binding affinities using machine learning approaches Proteins