T S Chandra
- Biotechnology for food,feed and fuel Riboflavin enriched animal feed supplement , rib gene expression ,lipase and membrane fluidity changes by fluorescent probes in ascomycetes fungi. Nutraceuticals , phenolic antioxidant activity ,wound healing and anti-glycaemic effects in millet diet.
- Molecular Microbial Diversity in compost ,vermicompost of sugar industry wastes (pressmud, bagasse ,trash etc) Low temperature biogasification , psychrotrophic microbes and cold-tolerant industrial enzymes (xylanases , cellulose , B-galactosidase etc).
- T.S.Chandra and Shethna, Y.I., Isolation and characterization of some new oxalate decomposing bacteria. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek J. Microbiol. Serol. (Netherlands) 41, 101-111 (1975)
- T.S.Chandra and Shethna, Y.I., Oxalate and formate metabolism in Alcaligenes and Pseudomonas species. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. J. of Microbiol & Serology, (Netherlands) 41, 465-477 (1975)
- T.S.Chandra and Shethna, Y.I., ., Oxalate,formate, formamide and methanol metabolism in Thiobacillus novellus. J. Bacteriol. (USA), 131, No.2, p.389-398 (1977)
- T.S.Chandra N.Nath and J.C.Seidel, “Sulphydryl reactivity of gizzard myosin” Fed. Proc. USA, 40, 1414 (1981)
- T.S.Chandra, N.Nath and J.C.Seidel, Digestion of chicken gizzard myosin with papain” Biophys.S. (USA) 37, 47a (1983).
- T.S.Chandra, “Fermentation for extracellular Microbial Polysaccharides”. Proc. Intern. UNESCO Workshop on Biotechnology, Selangor, Malaysia (1984)
- T.S.Chandra . Nath, N., Suzuki, H. and Seidel, J.C., Modification of thiols of gizzard myosin alters ATPase activity, stability of myosin filaments and the 6s-10s conformational transition. J. Biol. Chem. (USA), 260, No.1, p.202-208 (1985)
- C.G. Friedrich, O.Meyer and T.S.Chandra , Molybdenum dependent sulphur oxidation in facultatively litho autotrophic thiobacteria. FEMS Microbiology Letter, (USA), 37, pp.105-108 (1986)
- T.S.Chandra . and C.G.Friedrich, Tn 5 induced mutations affecting sulfur-oxidizing ability (SOx) of Thiosphaera pantotropha J. Bacteriol (USA), 166, pp.446-452 (1986)
- S.Soundar and T.S.Chandra, Cellulose degradation by a mixed bacterial culture. Jour. Industrial Microbiol. (USA), 2, p.257-265 (1987)
- S.Soundar and T.S.Chandra, Production of cellulase and detection of Avicel-adsorbing carboxymethylcellulase from a mesophilic fungus Humicola grisea Fb. Enzyme Microb. Technol. (USA), 10, pp.368-374 (1988)
- S.Soundar and T.S.Chandra, “Anaerobic digestion of cellulose by pure and mixed bacterial cultures” J. Industrial Microbiol (USA) 4, p.1-8 (1989)
- M.V.S.Murthy and T.S.Chandra, “Isolation and characterization of xylose and xylan-utilising anaerobic bacteria. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. J. Microb. & Serol. (Netherlands), 55, p.153-163 (1989)
- M.V.S.Murthy and T.S.Chandra, “Expression of xylanase and cellulase enzymes in a newly isolated Clostridium sp. Enzyme Microb. Technol. (USA) 13, p.430-435 ( 1991)
- M.V.S.Murthy and T.S.Chandra, Purification and properties of an extracellular xylanase enzyme of Clostridium strain SAIV. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. Intern. J. Gen. Mol. Microb. (Netherlands), 61, 35-41, (1992)
- B.R.Lakshmi and T.S.Chandra, Rapid release of protoplasts from Eremothecium ashbyii in comparison with Trichoderma reesei, and Penicillium chrysogenum using Novozyme & Funcelase. Enzyme Microbiol Technol. (USA), 15, 699-702, ( 1993)
- Chandra Raj K and T.S.Chandra, “A cellulase-free xylanase from alkali-tolerant Aspergillus fischeri Fxn1, Biotechnol. Lett. 17, No.3, pp.309-314 (1995)
- Chandra Raj K and T.S.Chandra, Purification and Characterization of xylanase from alkali-tolerant Aspergillus Fxn1. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 145, 457-461 (1996)
- Usha Antony, G.Sripriya & & T.S.Chandra, The effect of fermentation of the primary nutrients in foxtail millet (Setaria italica) Food Chemistry (UK), 56, No.4, 381-384 (1996)
- G.Sripriya, K.Chandra sekharan, V.S.Murthy and T.S.Chandra, ESR spectroscopic studies on free radical quenching action of finger millet. Food Chemistry (UK), 57, 537-540 (1996)
- Usha Antony, G.Sripriya & T.S.Chandra, Effect of fermentation on the primary nutrients in finger millet (Eleusine coracana) J. Agric. Food Chem., (Amer. Chemical. Soc.) 44, 2616-2618 ( 1996 )
- M.V.S.Murty and T.S.Chandra, Fermentability of hemicelluloses extracted from municipal waste and commercial xylans by Clostridium sp. Appl. Microbiol Biotechnol (Germany), 47, 212-217 (1997)
- G.Sripriya, U. Antony and T.S.Chandra, Changes in carbohydrates, free amino acids, organic acids, phytate and HCl extractability of minerals during germination and fermentation of finger millet (Eleusine coracana) Food Chemistry (UK) 58, No.4, 345-350 ( 1997 )
- Usha Antony and T.S.Chandra, Microbial population and biochemical changes in fermenting finger millet (Eleusine coracana) World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. (UK), Vol 13, 533-537 ( 1997)
- Usha Antony and T.S.Chandra, Antinutrient Reduction and Enhancement in Protein, Starch and Mineral Availability in Fermented Finger Millet (Eleusine coracana) J. Agric. Food Chem., (Amer. Chemical. Soc). Vol.46, No.7, 2578-2582, (1998)
- Usha Antony, L. G. Moses and T.S.Chandra Inhibition of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli by fermented flour of finger millet (Eleusine coracana) World Jour. of Microbiol. Biotechnol. ( U.K.) 14, 883-886 (1998 ).
- Usha Antony and T.S.Chandra, Enzymatic Treatment and use of starters for the nutrient enhancement in fermented flour of red and white varieties of finger millet (Eleusine coracana) Jour. Agric. Food Chem (Amer.Chem.Soc. USA ) .47, No.5.,2016-2019 (1999 )
- Uma Maheswari M and T.S.Chandra, Production and potential applications of xylanase from a new strain of Streptomyces cuspidosporus. World. J.Microbiol.Biotechnol ,vol 16 , 257-263 (2000 )
- V.Pujari and T.S.Chandra, Statistical optimization of medium components for improved synthesis of riboflavin by Eremothecium ashbyii. Bioprocess Engineering ( Springer- Verlag, Germany ) 23, 303-307 (2000 )
- V.Pujari and T.S.Chandra, Statistical optimization of medium components for enhanced riboflavin production by a UV mutant of Eremothecium ashbyii Process Biochemistry (Elsevier ) , 36, 31-37 (2000 )
- V.Pujari and T.S.Chandra, Physio-Morphological changes in a riboflavin producer Eremothecium ashbyii DT1 and UV mutants in submerged fermentation Jour.Microbiol.Biotechnol (Korea).11 (4) ,552-557 (2001 )
- Hegde ,P.S. , G.Chandrahasan and T.S.Chandra , Inhibition of collagen glycation and cross linking in vitro by methanolic extracts of finger millet ( Eleucine coracana ) and Kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum ) The Jour of Nutritional Biochemistry( Elsevier ) ,13, 517-521 ( 2002 )
- G.Akila and T.S.Chandra, A novel cold-tolerant Clostridium strain PXYL1 isolated from a psychrophilic cattle manure digester that secretes thermolabile xylanase and cellulose FEMS Microbiology Letters , 219 , 63-67 (2003)
- M.Sankar and T.S.Chandra, Processing and fractional utilization of lignocellulosic substrates by “pure” and “natural and defined mixed” culture C.TM1 ,C.SAIV and rumen mixed culture consortia CD Water Science and Technology , 48, 199-203 ( 2003)
- S.Vijayalakshmi ,T.N.Karthika ,A.K.Mishra and T.S.Chandra, Spectrofluorimetric method for the estimation of total lipids in Eremothecium ashbyii fungal filaments using Nile Blue and avoiding interference of autofluorescent riboflavin Jour. Microbiological Methods (Elsevier ) 55,99-103 (2003)
- N.S.Rajasekaran ,M.Nithya ,C.Rose , T.S.Chandra , The effect of finger millet feeding on the early responses during the process of wound healing in diabetic rats . Biochimica et Biophysica Acta , 1689, 190-201 (2004)
- HEGDE ,P.S. AND T.S.Chandra, ESR Spectroscopic study reveals higher free radical quenching potential in kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum) compared to other millets Food Chemistry ( USA) ,92, 177-182 (2005)
- Prashant S.Hegde ,Namakkal S.Rajasekaran and T.S.Chandra , Effects of the antioxidant properties of millet species on oxidative stress and glycemic status in alloxan-induced rats Nutritional Research 25;1109-1120 (2005 )
From 2006 onwards>
- Akila, G.and Chandra T.S . Performance of an UASB reactor treating synthetic wastewater at low-temperature using cold-adapted seed slurry Process Biochem 42, 466-471 (2007)
- Biswarup Sen and Chandra T.S . Chemolytic and solid-state spectroscopic evaluation of organic matter transformation during vermicomposting of sugar industry wastes. Biores.Technol 98, 1680-83(2007)
- Tushar Sharma, A. Leela Mohana Reddy, T.S.Chandra and S. Ramaprabhu High Power density from Pt thin film electrodes based Microbial Fuel Cell Journal of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (American Scientific Publishers), Vol 8,4132-4134 (2008)
- Tushar Sharma, A. Leela Mohana Reddy, T.S.Chandra and S. Ramaprabhu ,
- Development of carbon nanotubes and nanofluids based microbial fuel cell International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 ,6749-6754 (2008 )
- Kiran Kondepudi Kanthi & Chandra T.S ., Production of surfactant and detergent-stable,halophilic, and alkalitolerant alpha- amylase by a moderately halophilic Bacillus sp. Strain TSCVKK Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 77(5):1023–31 (2008)
- Biswarup Sen , J. Hamelin, V. Bru-Adan, J.-J. Godon and Chandra T.S ., Structural divergence of bacterial communities from functionally similar laboratory-scale vermicomposts assessed by PCR-CE-SSCP Journal of Applied Microbiology ISSN 1364-5072 (2008)
- Biswarup Sen and Chandra T.S , Do earthworms affect dynamics of functional response and genetic structure of microbial community in a lab-scale composting system? Bioresource Technology 100(2):804-11 (2009)
- Kavitha S, Chandra T.S . Effect of Vitamin E and menadione supplementation on riboflavin production and stress parameters in Ashbya gossypii. Process Biochemitry 44:934-938 (2009)
- Pooja K.P. and Chandra T.S ., Production and partial characterization of a novel capsular polysaccharide KP-EPS produced by Paenibacillus pabuli strain ATSKP”, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 25: 835-841 (2009)
- Arun sudha , V.S.Murty and T.S.Chandra , Standardization of Metal-Based Herbal Medicines American J. Infectious diseases 5(3):200-206(2009)
- Akila G; Chandra T.S , Stimulation of biomethanation by Clostridium sp. PXYL1 in coculture with a Methanosarcina strain PMET1 at psychrophilic temperatures. Journal of Applied Microbiology ;108(1):204-13. (2010)
- Giridhar P.V. and Chandra T.S ., Production of novel halo-alkali-thermo-stable xylanase by a newly isolated moderately halophilic and alkali-tolerant Gracilibacillus sp. TSCPVG Process Biochemistry (2010) Article in Press, Corrected Proof http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2010.07.012 Elsevier 2010
- Sengupta S and Chandra T.S , Molecular and structural characterization of GTP-cyclohydrolase II in Eremothecium ashbyi NRRL Y-1363: cDNA cloning, comparative sequence analysis and molecular modeling . Fungal Biology 2010 doi:10.1016/j.funbio.2010.06.006 Copyright © 2010 The British Mycological Society Published by Elsevier Ltd (originally called Mycological Research )
- Sudeshna Sengupta and Chandra T.S, Sequence analysis and structural characterization of a glyceraldehyde-3- phosphate-dehydrogenase gene from the phytopathogenic fungus Eremothecium ashbyi Mycopathologia – In Press Elsevier (2010)
Publications In National Journals
- Chandra T.S and Shethna, Y.I., Isolation and characterization of formate utilizing bacteria. Current Science, 45, No.18, .653-656 (1976).
- Chandra T.S and Shethna, Y.I., “Microbial metabolism of oxalate and one-carbon compounds”. J. Indian Institute of Science, 59, No.4, 26-52 (1977)
- Chandra T.S and Rohatgi P.K., “Technology Forecasting Studies for Research and Development and Evolving a Science Policy for Microbiological Opportunities for Increasing Food Production in India”. Proceedings of 1st Indian Convention of Food Scientisits and Technologists, 94-95 (1978)
- Chandra T.S and M.Satyanarayana, “Riboflavin fermentation of molasses with agro-industrial nitrogenous by-products. Journal Indian Institute of Science, 62A, 37-43 (1980)
- Chandra T.S, K. Rohatgi and P.K.Rohatgi, Normative forecasting on microbial aspects of increasing food production in India” CSIR Journal Scientific Industrial Res., 40, 15-21 (1981)
- Soundar S. and Chandra T.S , “Purification and properties of Avicel-adsorbing carboxymethyl cellulase from a mesophilic fungus Humicola grisea Fb. Indian J.Microbiol, 29 (1), 15-24 (1989) (AWARDED FIRST PRIZE AS BEST RESEARCH PAPER AT AMI CONFERENCE AT HISAR, 1989).
- Chandra T.S and Chandra Raj, K, “Xylan and Xylanases-Present Scenario” – A Review In “MICROBES FOR BETTER LIVING” Eds. R.Sankaran and K.S.Manja Conf. Secretariat, Micon. Intern.-94 &35th AMI Conf, DFRL, MYSORE pp.491-498 (1995)
- Chandra Raj K. and Chandra T.S, “Production of cellulase-poor xylanase by a newly isolated fungus Fxn1”.In “PERSPECTIVES IN MICROBIOLOGY” Ed. R.S. Kahlon, Natl. Agri. Technol. Infor. Ctr. pp.269-270 (1996).
- Uma Maheswari M and Chandra T.S, “Isolation and partial characterization of hemicellulose degrading bacteria”. In “PERSPECTIVES IN MICROBIOLOGY” Ed. R.S. Kahlon Natl. Agri. Technol. Infor. Ctr. pp.235-237 (1996)
- Omprakash A. V., Narahari. D and Chandra T.S, Eremothecium ashbyii culture as growth promoter for Pureline Broiler Chicks Cheiron 25 : 1 & 2 ; p 18-24, (1996)
- Venkatakrishnan C.D. and Chandra T.S, Molybdenum resistant Thiobacillus ferrooxidans Jour.Indian Institute of Science , Bangalore , 79, 287-293 (1999).
- Hegde P.S, Anitha B and Chandra T.S, In vivo effect of whole grain flour of finger millet (Eleucine coracana ) and kodo millet(Paspalum scrobiculatum) on rat dermal wound healing . Indian Journal of Experimental Biology ,43, 254-258(2005)
Honours and Awards
Academic and Professional related awards :
- 2008 Indo-US INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH PROFESSORSHIP of the American Society for Microbiology and IUSSTP for visit to prestigious Harvard University , Dept of Biology , Cambridge MA, USA with Dr Girguis for 2 weeks in area of microbial fuel cells performance .
- 2008 Bhagyalakshmi Award for the best B.Tech project guided in area of Energy by IIT Madras and awarded on the Institute Day
- 2008 Innovative Student Project under my supervision was selected for competition at PAN IIT California by IIT Madras
- 2008 Bhagyalakshmi Award of IIT Madras for supervising excellent BTech project on Energy.
- 2007 Elected All India President of The Association of Microbiologists of India A 60-year old prestigious largest professional body of around 3000 microbiologists in India .
- 1998 LOUIS PASTEUR TRIENNIAL AWARD BY THE ASSOCIATION OF MICROBIOLOGISTS OF INDIA for Outstanding Contributions in Microbiology and Fermentation Technology
- 1996 INSA visiting Fellowship for Microbial Genetics Training at CCMB, Hyderabad by Indian National Science Academy
- 1984-1985 ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLD INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP for work at Institute of Mikrobiologie at Univ of Goettingen West Germany
- 1976 M.Sreenivasayya Best Ph.D thesis of the year by Indian Institute of Science Bangalore Microbiology &Cell biology Laboratory.
Other Awards in recognition of Academic and Personal achievements by Social Organizations :
Since 1984 the NCERT Hindi Textbook for 8th std carries an article about me titled Aparajitha written by the Famous Hindi writer Shivani on my achievements despite disability and family support as an inspirational article for children
- 2007 Achievers Award for outstanding achievement despite disability during the State Conference of the TNadu Assoc.for the Welfare ofPhysically Handicapped 7th Jan 2007
- 2002 Vocational Excellence Award for Women by Anna Nagar Rotary Club
- 2001 ‘Arivial Mamani’ Award by Uratha Sindhanai Society for science & technology
- 2001 Excellence in Education overcoming disability by Sathyalok World Sindhi Community Trust
- 1997 “Eminent Teacher” Honor by Lions Club Madras
- 1995 Appreciation Certificate formeritorius services rendered to children and society at large as a Teacher by the Lions Club of Madras Temple Bay 28th Nov 1995
- 1995 Honorary Membership of Rotary Club for education
- 1995 Significant Achievement award in Education field by ROTARY CLUB, Madras Cosmos
- 1995 ALL INDIA LALCHAND-MILAPCHAND DADHA AWARD by “MUKTI” for spirit off courage and achieving heights of excellence among disabled
- 1993 “Thannambikai” Award by Pondicherry Welfare Association
- 1976 Outstanding Youth of India by Jaycees Club
- 1968 First Handicapped President Girl Guide in India of Bharat Scouts & Guides