- Mechanisms of Apoptosis activated by anticancer agents
- Signaling by growth factors
- NF-kappa B signaling
- Kavitha K, Vidya Priyadarsini R, Anitha P, Ramalingam K, Sakthivel R, Purushothaman G, Singh AK, Karunagaran D, Nagini S (2012).Nimbolide, a neem limonoid abrogates canonical NF-κB and Wnt signaling to induce caspase-dependent apoptosis in human hepatocarcinoma (HepG2) cells.Eur J Pharmacol.15;681,6-14.
- Subramoniam A, Asha VV, Nair SA, Sasidharan SP, Sureshkumar PK, Rajendran KN, Karunagaran D, Ramalingam K (2012).Chlorophyll revisited: anti-inflammatory activities of chlorophyll a and inhibition of expression of TNF-α gene by the same.Inflammation.35;3,959-66.
- Vidya Priyadarsini R, Senthil Murugan R, Maitreyi S, Ramalingam K, Karunagaran D, Nagini S (2010). The flavonoid quercetin induces cell cycle arrest and mitochondria mediated apoptosis in human cervical cancer (HeLa) cells through p53 induction and NF-κB inhibition. Eur J Pharmacol (In Press).
- Murugan RS, Priyadarsini RV, Ramalingam K, Hara Y, Karunagaran D, Nagini S. (2010) Intrinsic apoptosis and NF-κB signaling are potential molecular targets for chemoprevention by black tea polyphenols in HepG2 cells in vitro and in a rat hepatocarcinogenesis model in vivo. Food Chem Toxicol (In Press).
- Sumith Retnamma Panicker, Prethish Sreenivas, Mani Sankar Babu, Devarajan Karunagaran and Chandrasekharan Cheranellore Kartha (2010) Quercetin attenuates Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 gene expression in glucose primed aortic endothelial cells through NF-κB and AP-1. Pharmacol Res 62, 328-336.
- Vidya Priyadarsini, R., Senthil Murugan, R., Sripriya, P., Karunagaran D and Nagini, S. (2010) The neem limonoids azadirachtin and nimbolide induce cell cycle arrest and mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in human cervical cancer (HeLa) cells. Free Radic Res. 44, 624-634.
- Marie Lue Antony, Rema Nair , Paul Sebastian and Devarajan Karunagaran (2010) Changes in expression, and/or mutations in TGF-β receptors (TGF-β RI and TGF-β RII) and Smad 4 in human ovarian tumors J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 136, 351-361
- Sivakumar, KC, Thomas B, and Karunagaran D (2009) Three dimensional structure of the closed conformation (active) of human merlin reveals masking of actin binding site in the FERM domain Int. J. Bioinformatics Research and Applications 5, 516-524
- Paul BT, Babu MS, Santhoshkumar TR, Karunagaran D, Selvam GS, Brown K, Woo T, Sharma S, Naicker S, Murugesan R. (2009) Biophysical evaluation of two red-shifted hypocrellin B derivatives as novel PDT agents J Photochem Photobiol B. 94, 38-44
- Marie Lue Antony, Rema Nair , Paul Sebastian and Devarajan Karunagaran (2009) Changes in expression, and/or mutations in TGF-β receptors (TGF-β RI and TGF-β RII) and Smad 4 in human ovarian tumors J Cancer Res Clin Oncol (In Press)
- Karunagaran D, Sripriya P, and Prabhakar BN. (2008) MicroRNAs: Novel and potential candidates for cancer therapy, ICFAI Journal of Biotechnology 2, 38-51
- Karunagaran D, Joseph J, Kumar TR. (2007) Cell growth regulation, Adv. Exp. Med. Biol., 595, 245-268
- Saja K, Babu MS, Karunagaran D, and Sudhakaran PR (2007) Anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin involves downregulation of MMP-9 in blood mononuclear cells. Int. Immunopharmacol. 7, 1659-1667.
- Shlomit Erlich, Pazit Tal-Or, Roy Blum, Yoel Kloog, Devarajan Karunagaran and Ronit Pinkas-Kramarski (2006) Ras Inhibition Results in Growth Arrest and Death of Androgen-Dependent and Androgen-Independent Prostate Cancer Cells. Biochem pharmacol., 72, 427-436
- John Mohan, Alankaram Arul Gandhi, Balan Chandrika Bhavya, Ramachandran Rashmi, Devarajan Karunagaran, Ramachandran Indu, and Thankayyan Retnabhai Santhoshkumar (2006) Caspase-2 triggers Bax-Bak dependent and independent cell death in colon cancer cells treated with resveratrol. J. Biol. Chem., 281, 17599-17611
- Kumaraguruparan R, Karunagaran D, Balachandran C, Manohar BM, Nagini S (2006). Of humans and canines: A comparative evaluation of heat shock and apoptosis-associated proteins in mammary tumors. Clin Chim Acta. 365, 168-176
- Manickam Venkatraman, Ruby John Anto, Asha Nair, Merina Varghese and Devarajan Karunagaran (2005) Biological and chemical inhibitors of NF-κB sensitize SiHa cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis. Mol. Carcinogenesis 44, 51-59
- D. Karunagaran, R. Rashmi and T. R. Santhosh Kumar (2005) Induction of Apoptosis by Curcumin and Its Implications for Cancer Therapy. Curr. Cancer Drug Targets 5, 117-129
- Ramachandran Rashmi, Santhosh Kumar and Devarajan Karunagaran (2005) Human colon cancer cells lacking Bax resist curcumin-induced apoptosis and Bax requirement is dispensable with ectopic expression of Smac or downregulation of Bcl-XL. Carcinogenesis 26, 713-723
- Smitha V. Bava, Vineshkumar T. Puliappadamba, Ayswaria Deepti, Asha Nair, Devarajan Karunagaran, and Ruby John Anto (2005) Sensitization of Taxol-induced Apoptosis by Curcumin Involves Down-regulation of Nuclear Factor-κB and the Serine/Threonine Kinase Akt and Is Independent of Tubulin Polymerization. J. Biol. Chem., 280, 6301-6308
- Ramachandran Rashmi, Santhosh Kumar and Devarajan Karunagaran (2004) Ectopic expression of Bcl-XL or Ku70 protects human colon cancer cells (SW480) against curcumin-induced apoptosis while their downregulation potentiates it. Carcinogenesis 25, 1867-1877
- Tessy T Maliekal, Ruby John Anto and Devarajan Karunagaran (2004) Differential Activation of Smads in HeLa and SiHa Cells that Differ in their Response to Transforming Growth Factor-β. J. Biol. Chem., 279, 36287-36292
- Suby Oommen, Ruby John Anto, Gopal Srinivas and Devarajan Karunagaran (2004) Allicin (from garlic) induces caspase-mediated apoptosis in cancer cells. European Journal of Pharmacology 485, 97-103
- Ramachandran Rashmi, Santhosh Kumar and Devarajan Karunagaran (2004) Ectopic Expression of Hsp70 Confers Resistance, and Silencing Its Expression Sensitizes Human Colon Cancer Cells to Curcumin-induced Apoptosis. Carcinogenesis 25, 179-187
- Tessy T Maliekal, Marie-Lue Antony, Asha Nair, Ramasamy Paulmurugan and Devarajan Karunagaran (2003) Loss of expression, and mutations of Smad 2 and Smad 4 in human cervical cancer. Oncogene 22, 4889-4897
- Gopal Srinivas, Ruby John Anto, Priya Srinivas, Subramanian Vidhyalakshmi, Vijayamma Priya Senan and Devarajan Karunagaran (2003) Emodin induces apoptosis of human cervical cancer cells through poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase cleavage and activation of caspase 9. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 473, 117-125
- Ruby John Anto, Manickam Venkatraman, and Devarajan Karunagaran (2003) Inhibition of NF-κB sensitizes A431 Cells to EGF-induced apoptosis whereas its activation by Ectopic expression of RelA confers resistance J. Biol. Chem. 278, 25490-25498
- R. Rashmi, T. R. Santhosh Kumar, D. Karunagaran (2003) Human colon cancer cells differ in their sensitivity to curcumin-induced apoptosis and heat shock protects them by inhibiting the release of apoptosis-inducing factor and caspases FEBS Letters 538, 19-24
- Asha Nair, Manickam Venkatraman, Tessy T. Maliekal, Balaraman Nair, and Devarajan Karunagaran (2003) Nuclear Factor-κB is Constitutively Activated in High grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions and Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Human Uterine Cervix. Oncogene 22, 50-58.
- Asha Nair, S., Karunagaran, D., and Sudhakaran, P. R. (2003) Changes in matrix metalloproteinases and their endogenous inhibitors during tumor progression in the uterine cervix. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 129, 123-131
- Rabi T, Karunagaran D, Krishnan Nair M, Bhattathiri VN. (2002) Cytotoxic activity of amooranin and its derivatives. Phytother. Res. 1, S84-86
- Anto, R. J., Maliekal, T. T., and Karunagaran D. (2000) L-929 cells harboring ectopically expressed RelA resist curcumin-induced apoptosis J. Biol.Chem. 275, 15601-15604
- Chen, H., Yu, D., Chinnadurai, G., Karunagaran, D. and Hung, M. C. (1997) Mapping of adenovirus 5 E1A domains responsible for suppression of neu-mediated transformation via transcriptional repression of neu. Oncogene 14, 1965-1971.
- Kiyokawa, N., Karunagaran, D., Lee, E.K., Xie, Y., Yan, D-H., and Hung, M.C. (1997) Involvement of cdc2-mediated phosphorylation in the cell cycle-dependent regulation of p185 neu. Oncogene 15, 2633-2641.
- Kiyokawa, N., Lee, E. K., Karunagaran, D., Lin, S-Y., and Hung, M.C. (1997) Mitosis-specific negative regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor triggered by a decrease in ligand binding and dimerization can be overcome by overexpression of receptor. J. Biol. Chem., 272, 18656-18665.
- Shao, R., Karunagaran, D., Zhou, B. P., Li, K., Lo, S-S., Deng, J., Chiao, P., and Hung, M. C. (1997) Inhibition of nuclear factor – κB activity is involved in E1A-mediated sensitization of radiation-induced apoptosis. J. Biol. Chem., 272, 32739-32742.
- Karunagaran, D., Tzahar, E., Beerli, R. R., Chen, X., Graus-Porta, D., Ratzkin, B., Seger, R., Hynes, N.E. and Yarden, Y. (1996) ErbB-2 is a common auxiliary subunit of NDF- and EGF-receptors: implications for breast cancer. EMBO.J.15: 254-264.
- Chen, X., Levkowitz, G., Tzahar, E., Karunagaran, D., Lavi, S., Ben-Baruch, N., Leitner, O., Ratzkin, B. J., Bacus, S. S. and Yarden, Y. (1996) An immunological approach reveals biological differences between the two NDF/heregulin receptors, ErbB-3 and ErbB-4. J. Biol. Chem. 271: 7620-7629.
- Tzahar, E., Waterman, H., Chen, X., Levkowitz, G., Karunagaran, D., Lavi, S., Ratzkin, B.J. and Yarden, Y. (1996) A Hierarchial Network of Interreceptor Interactions Determines Signal Transduction by Neu Differentiation Factor/Neuregulin and Epidermal Growth Factor. Mol.Cell. Biol.16, 5276-5287.
- Karunagaran, D., Tzahar, E., Liu, N., Wen, D. and Yarden, Y. (1995) Neu Differentiation Factor Inhibits EGF Binding: A Model for Trans-Regulation Within the ErbB Family of Receptor Tyrosine Kinases. J. Biol. Chem., 270, 9982-9990.
- Lu, H.S., Chang, D., Philo, J. S., Zhang, K., Linda, O. N., Liu, N., Zhang, M., Sun, J., Wen, J., Yanagihara, D., Karunagaran, D., Yarden, Y. and Ratzkin, B. (1995) Studies on the Structure and Function of Glycosylated and Nonglycosylated neu Differentiation Factors: Similarities and differences of the α and β isoforms. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 4784-4791.
- Marikovsky, M., Lavi, S., Pinkas-Kramarski, R., Karunagaran, D., Liu, N., Wen, D. and Yarden, Y. (1995) ErbB-3 mediates differential mitogenic effects of NDF/heregulin isoforms on mouse keratinocytes. Oncogene, 10, 1403-1411.
- Wen, D., Suggs, S. V., Karunagaran, D., Liu, N., Cupples, R. L., Luo, Y., Janssen, A. M., Ben-Baruch, N., Trollinger, D. B., Jacobsen, V. L., Meng, S-Y., Lu, H.S., Hu, S., Chang, D., Yanigahara, D. Koski, R.A. and Yarden, Y. (1994). Structural and Functional Aspects of the Multiplicity of Neu Differentiation Factors. Mol. Cell. Biol.14, 1909-1919.
- Tzahar, E., Levkowitz, G., Karunagaran, D., Yi, L., Peles, E., Lavi.S., Chang, D., Liu, N., Yayon, A., Wen. D. and Yarden, Y (1994) ErbB-3 and ErbB-4 Function as the Respective Low and High Affinity Receptors of All Neu Differentiation Factor/Heregulin Isoforms. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 25226-25233.
- Dhanunjayanath, V., Karunagaran, D., and Ramakrishna Rao, P. (1993) Effect of fluoride on germination and starch mobilization of horse gram seeds. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 36:131-133.
- Karunagaran, D., Mohana, M.N and Usha, V. (1992). Influence of axis on hydrolase development in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) cotyledons during germination. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 35: 300-304.
- Karunagaran, D., and Ramakrishna Rao, P. (1991) Mode and control of starch mobilization during germination of seeds of horse gram. Plant Sci,, 73: 155-159.
- Karunagaran, D. and Ramakrishna Rao, P. (1990) Development of mitochondria in horse gram cotyledons during germination. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 33: 219-225
- Karunagaran, D. and Ramakrishna Rao, P. (1990) Axial control of protease development in cotyledons of horse gram (Macrotyloma uniform Lam.) seeds during germination. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 33: 232-238.
- Herbert Manoharan, T., Jayachandran, N., Karunagaran, D and Natarajan, K. R. (1981) Influence of Fluchloralin on the growth and metabolism of maize seedlings. The Plant Biochem. J., (India), 8, 103-116.
- Herbert Manoharan, T., Thirunavukkarasu, A., Karunagaran, D. and Natarajan, K. R. (1981) Effects of Fluchloralin on the metabolism of cowpea ( Vigna unguiculata L.) seedlings. Indian J. Exp. Biol., 19, 943-947
- D. Karunagaran and S.Asha Nair (2001) Relevance of Rel signaling in cancer Amala Research Bulletin 21: 1-3.
- D. Karunagaran (2003) Fight against cancer continues, armed with novel biotechnological tools pp 68-74 In ” A Compendium on the Focal Theme of National Science Day” State Committee on Science, Technology and Environment, Government of Kerala.
- Cancer treatment: Novel biotechnological approaches, Kerala Calling, December 2003 18-20.
- Transforming growth factor-β signaling in cancer (2004) Amala Research Bulletin 24: 12-17.
- Coercing cancer cells to commit suicide through molecular targeting. Advanced Biotech, October 2004, 15-18.
Gene Bank Submission:
- Jinesh, G. and Karunagaran, D., (2004) Identification of new transcription factors Homo sapiens zinc finger domain-related protein TSRM (TSRM) mRNA, partial cds. GenBank Accession No. AY742823
- Jinesh, G. and Karunagaran, D., (2007) Homo sapiens mothers against decapentapelagic homolog 3 [Smad3] alternatively spliced and mutant mRNA at exon8, 9 in SiHa cell line. GenBank Accession No. EU016554
- Jinesh, G. and Karunagaran, D., (2007) Homo sapiens mothers against decapentapelagic homolog 3 [Smad3] mRNA, splicing error mutant in SiHa cell line, exon 3 to 6. GenBank Accession No. EU016553
- Jinesh, G. and Karunagaran, D., (2007) Homo sapiens mothers against decapentapelagic homolog 3 [Smad3] intron-8 to exon-9 splicing error mutant mRNA in HeLa cell line. GenBank Accession No. EU016552
- Antony,M. and Karunagaran, D., (2007) Mutated TGF beta RI in ovarian cancer. GenBank Accession No. EF142854
- Antony,M. and Karunagaran, D.,(2007) Mutated TGF beta RI in ovarian cancer. GenBank Accession No. EF142853