Earlier, we discovered that induced reactive oxygen species (ROS) can be used to improve productivities of bioreactor cultures and to significantly improve biofuel yield. Many interesting, counter-intuitive biological phenomena have emerged from the extensions of the studies. In addition, we developed a novel strategy of oxygen supply to aerobic bioreactors, which eliminates the gas-liquid transport resistance, one of the biggest challenges to oxygen supply, and employed it to improve productivities of viscous and shear-sensitive fermentations. Also, the cost is attractive (Re. 0.15 per kg of equivalent oxygen), and hence, this strategy can potentially be employed to improve aerobicity of any bioreactor.
Further, we developed novel biosorbents for toxic trace metal removal with high uptake capacities, and bioreactors for plant shoot culture; they resulted in patents.
Choose-Focus-Analyze (C-F-A) exercise
Students need to choose a problem of relevance to the industry or any human endeavour and analyze it using the principles learnt in class. This is an open-ended exercise and designed to develop the skills of choice, focus and analysis in students. The evaluation will be based on originality in approach: 15%, focus level: 15%, depth of analysis: 20%, quantum of work: 20%, original contribution: 20%, presentation: 10%. A concise report submitted two weeks before the last day of classes will be evaluated. It will help if the problem is chosen well in advance and sufficient time, distributed throughout the course duration, is devoted.
- Aparnna Suresh CFA
- CFA (Abhishek_BT04B002)
Publications by area – click here
- Suraishkumar GK
Strategies to improve learning of all students in a class
European Journal of Engineering Education (2017) DOI: 10.1080/03043797.2017.1384797
Journal article (first 50 copies)
Accepted manuscript: improve_learning_for_all_in_class
A less formal (less jargon, less rigour) manuscript: whole_class_pap_rev
- Suraishkumar GK
Active Learning through Video Lectures
Peer-reviewed, published full paper in the proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Education, Turku, Finland (2012)
- Suraishkumar GK
Improving Coherence in Technical Writing
Chemical Engineering Education, 38, 116-120 (2004)
- Suraishkumar GK and Khilar KC
On Improving `Thought with Hands’
Chemical Engineering Education, 36, 292-295 (2002)
- Sureshkumar GK
A Choose-Focus-Analyze Exercise in ChE Undergraduate Courses
Chemical Engineering Education, 35, 80-84 (2001)
Reactive species (RS) related:
- Kavya R. Menon, Ranjini Balan, and G. K. Suraishkumar
Stress Induced Lipid Production in Chlorella vulgaris: Relationship with Specific Intracellular Reactive Species Levels
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110, 1627 – 1636 (2013)cover article with video abstract
- Aparna B. Ganesh, P. T. Manoharan and Suraishkumar GK
Responses of the Photosynthetic Machinery of Spirulina maxima to Induced Reactive Oxygen Species
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 96, 1191-1198 (2007)
- Susmita Sahoo, K. Krishnamurthy Rao and Suraishkumar GK
Reactive Oxygen Species Induced by Shear Stress Mediate Cell Death in Bacillus subtilis
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 94, 118-127 (2006)
- Susmita Sahoo, Krishnamurthy Rao K, Suresh AK and Suraishkumar GK
Intracellular Reactive Oxygen Species Mediate Suppression of Sporulation in Bacillus subtilis Under Shear Stress,
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 87, 81-89 (2004)
- Manjula Rao Y and Sureshkumar GK
Improvement in Bioreactor Productivities Using Free Radicals: HOCl-Induced Overproduction of Xanthan Gum from Xanthomonas campestris and Its Mechanism
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 72, 62-68 (2001)
- Ganesh Sriram, Y. Manjula Rao, A. K. Suresh and Sureshkumar GK
Oxygen Supply Without Gas-liquid Film Resistance to Xanthomonas campestris Cultivation
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 59, 714-723 (1998)
- Indian patent 234770 A Reusable Bioreactor for Plant Shoot Culture. with I.I.T. Madras
- Indian patent 186358 A Process for the Sorption of Toxic Trace and Heavy Metals and Organic Chemicals from Effluents Using Granulated Non-living Biomass of the fungus Rhizopus species. with I. P. Suhasini, Niraj Shah, S. R. Asolekar and I.I.T. Bombay.
- Indian patent 186573 A Process for the Preparation of Granulated Non-living Biomass of the Fungus Rhizopus species for Sorption of Toxic Trace and Heavy Metals and Organic Chemicals from Effluents.with I. P. Suhasini, Niraj Shah, S. R. Asolekar and I.I.T. Bombay.
- Studies on Mass Transport of Oxygen Without Gas-Liquid Resistance as Applied to Biosystems, Department of Science and Technology, India (DST), Amount: Rs. 3.79 lakhs.
- Treatment of Ammoniacal Wastewaters from Heavy Water Plants, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS), Amount: Rs. 10.25 lakhs
- Improvement of Bioreactor Yields Using Culture Status in Viscous Fermentations, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Improvement in Enzyme Productivities from Shear Sensitive Aerobic Systems, Department of Science and Technology (DST), Amount: Rs. 10.75 lakhs.
- Biotechnological Approaches for Production and Cultivation of Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin Benth.). Part B: Development of Bioreactors for Shoot Culture Department of Biotechnology (DBT), multi-institute project, amount: Rs. 85.14 lakhs.
- Improvement in Performance of Bioreactors Employing Recombinant Organisms Using the Liquid Phase Oxygen-Supply Strategy (LPOS) Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), amount: Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Divashri Project (alumnus), Rs. 25 lakhs +
- Reactive Oxygen Species and Chlorine Based Microbial Inactivation (Indo-US forum), amount: amount: USD 30,000
- Development of a Photobioreactor for Algal Biofuels (DBT), amount: Rs. 1.3 crores
- Reactive Species for Improved Bio-oil Yields from Microalgae (DST), Rs. 32.5 lakhs
- Entrainment of Rhythms for Improved Cancer Therapy (DST) Rs. 38.1 lakhs
- Sartorius Distinguished Speaker Award (for Biotechnology), Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2017
- Cover-page article and video abstract (http://www.youtube.com/user/WileyVideoAbstracts)
in Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2013
- Indo-American Frontiers of Engineering award, jointly with Professor Jeanne VanBriesen, Carnegie Mellon University, 2008
- Lupin-UICT fellow, 2007-08
- P. K. Patwardhan award for the Best Technology Development Effort, I.I.T. Bombay, 1999.
- Outstanding Contribution Award, Drexel University, 1990.
- Research Award, University Research Council, University of Cincinnati, 1987.
- Awards for the Best Student in School (Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan Junior College,1982), State 15th Rank (S.S.L.C. examination, 1980), State 1st Rank (Literary Society – Manavar Mandram – exam, 1978),and General Proficiency (every school year).
- Best Presentation Award, Annual Conference of the Indian Institute of Chemical
Engineers, Mumbai, December 2004.
- Award for Performance in Hindi Certificate Course, Central Hindi Directorate, 1996.
Contribution to National and State Level Committees
- Expert, Faculty Selection Committee
- IIT Bombay, 2016
- IIT Hyderabad, 2013, 2016
- IIT Guwahati, 2011
- North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), 2013, 2015
- Univ. of Allahabad, 2013
- IIT Delhi, 2013 (invited)
- IIT Roorkee, 2012 (invited)
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, 2009 (invited)
- Member, Academic Committee, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, 2008 – 2013
- Member, Board of Studies, SASTRA University, Thanjavur, 2008
- Expert, Advisory committee for the national project on Virtual Labs, 2010 – current
- Expert, Indo-Canadian video conference on Algal Bioenergy, 2008
- Member, Selection Committees for Scientist positions, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, 2008
- Member, Committees constituted by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) to evaluate industrial laboratories for certification, many times
- Expert, Curriculum Committee for Biotechnology, NIT Warangal, 2007; NIT, Kozhikode, 2008
- Expert, AICTE National Accreditation Committee for KRS college, 2008
- Member, Working Group to provide inputs for the next five year plan, Tamilnadu State Council for Science and Technology, 2006
Contribution to Self-governance: Institute and Department Administrative Positions
At/From IIT Madras
- Head, Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility, IIT Madras, 2009 – 2013
- Head, Department of Biotechnology, IIT Hyderabad, 2009 – 2011
(contributed toward the set-up of the new Department as its first Head)
- Head, Department of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, 2005 – 2008
(contributed significantly toward the set-up of the new Department toward its significant future contributions, as its first formal Head)
- Institute Coordinator, IIT Madras, Joint academic programs with Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology and Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007 – 2012
(contributed significantly toward the initiation of the M.Tech. Clinical Engineering and Ph.D. (major: Biomedical Devices and Technology) programs, and their subsequent growth)
- Chairperson, Institute Prizes, Awards and Scholarships Senate sub-committee, IIT Madras, 2009 – 2010; ex-officio member, 2010 – 2011
At IIT Bombay
- Warden, Hostel 10, 2002-2004
- Member, School Policy Committee (SPC), School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, 2002-2004
- Member, Institute Undergraduate Programs Committee (UGPC), 2000-2002
- Member, Department Policy Committee (DPC), 2003-2004