The primary objective of my research team is to elucidate molecular and cellular mechanisms of normal and aberrant function of blood vessels under physiological and patho-physiological conditions respectively. The key areas we focus on are endothelial dysfunction, atherosclerosis and edema. In order to obtain a holistic picture on these issues we subscribe to the following approaches:
- High through put screening for identification of changes in gene expression from clinical samples.
- In vitro tissue culture experiments to identify signaling intermediates altered under pathological settings. For this we employ primary cultures of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs), and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs).
- Validation of in vitro data through in vivo animal experiments.
- Use of viral vector based gene delivery systems to rectify the faulty functioning of the signaling intermediates.
* denotes Corresponding authorship (Citation records as per Google scholar)
International Journals (Peer-reviewed)
Publications from IIT Madras
As Principle Investigator:
- Nathan AA, Charan Tej MA, Chitilprolu M, Rangan S, Mohan V, Harish R, Anand SB and Dixit M*. “Impaired glucose tolerance alters functional ability of peripheral blood-derived mononuclear cells in Asian Indian men.” Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research, Accepted, Epub ahead of publication. PMID: 25303939.
- Giri, H., Chandel, S., Dwarakanath, L., Sreekumar, S. and Dixit, M*. “Increased endothelial inflammation, sTie-2 and arginase activity in gestational diabetes.” PLoS One. (2013), 8(12): e84546. (Citations: 1)
- Potunuru, U.R., Rushendhiran, K., Ganugula, R., Avaneesh, T., Reddy, B. and Dixit, M*. “Ellagic acid (EA) inhibits PDGF-BB induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and prevents atheroma formation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. (2013), Nov; 24(11):1830-9. (Citations: 7)
- Rushendhiran, K., Potunuru, U.R., Nastasijevic, B., Avaneesh, T., Joksic, G. and Dixit, M*. “Inhibition of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation by Gentiana lutea root extracts.” PLOS One. (2013), 8(4): e61393. (Citations: 8)
- Giri, H., Illayaraja, M., Dhar, M., Rathnakumar, K., Uma, R., and Dixit, M*. “Protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP2 mediates chronic insulin induced endothelial inflammation.” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology. (2012), 32: 1943-1950. (Citations: 6)
- Bairgai, S., Gopal, J., Nathan, A.A., Babu, Pavan Kumar, N., and Dixit, M*. “Glucose induced increase in circulating progenitor cells is blunted in anovulatory subjects.” Human Reproduction. (2012), Mar; 27(3):844-53. (Citations: 3)
- Nathan, A.A., Mohan, V., Babu, S., Bairagi, S., and Dixit, M*. “Glucose challenge increases circulating progenitor cells in Asian Indian male subjects with normal glucose tolerance which is compromised in subjects with pre-diabetes: A pilot study.” BMC Endocrine disorders. (2011), Jan 11; 11(1): 2. (Citations: 5)
- Anuradha, S., Mohan, V*., Gokulakrishnan, K., and Dixit, M. “Angiopoietin-2 levels in glucose intolerance, hypertension, and metabolic syndrome in Asian Indians (Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study-74).” Metabolism. (2009), 59(6):774-9. (Citations: 10)
- Kowshik J, Baba AB, Giri H, Deepak Reddy G, Dixit, M and Nagini, S*. “Astaxanthin inhibits JAK/STAT-3 signalling to abrogate cell proliferation, invasion and angiogenesis in Hamster model of oral cancer.” PLoS One. (2014), 9(10): e109114.
- Kowshik J, Giri H, Kiran Kishore TK, Kesavan R, Vankudavath RN, Reddy GB, Dixit M*, and Nagini S*.”Ellagic acid inhibits VEGF/VEGFR2, PI3K/Akt, and MAPK signaling cascades in hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis model.” Anti-cancer agents in medicinal chemistry. (2014), Epub ahead of print, PMID: 25060902
- Thiyagarajan, K., Kavitha, K., Avaneesh, Dixit, M. and Nagini, S*. “Dietary chlorophyllin abrogates TGF beta signaling to modulate the hallmark capabilities of cancer in an animal model of fore stomach carcinogenesis.” Tumor Biology. (2014), 35(7):6725-37.
- Abhijit, S., Bhaskaran, R., Narayanasamy, A., Chakroborty, A., Manickam, N., Dixit, M., Mohan, V., and Balasubramanyam, M*. “Hyperinsulinemia-induced vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration and proliferation is mediated by converging mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress.” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. (2012), 373 (1-2): 95-105. (Citations: 10)
- Gupta, M*., Dixit, M., and Rao, K.K. “SpoOA positively regulates epr expression by negating the repressive effect of co-repressor SinR and ScoC in Bacillus subtilis.” Journal of Bioscience. (2013), Jun; 38(2): 291-9. (Citations: 1)
- Dixit, M., Bess, E., Fisslthaler, B., Hartel, F.V., Noll, T., Busse, R., and Fleming, I*. “Shear stress induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase regulates FoxO1a and angiopoietin-2 in endothelial cells.” Cardiovascular Research, (2008) 77(1): 160-168. (Citations: 37)
- Randriamboavonjy, V., Pistrosch, F., Bölck, B., Schwinger, R.H., Dixit, M., Badenhoop, K., Cohen, R.A., Busse, R., and Fleming, I*. “Platelet sarcoplasmic endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase and mu-calpain activity are altered in type 2 diabetes mellitus and restored by rosiglitazone.” Circulation (2008), 117(1):52-60. (Citations: 63)
Publications prior to joining IIT Madras:
- Zhuang, D., Pu Q., Ceacareanu, B., Chang Y., Dixit, M., and Hassid, A*. “Chronic insulin treatment amplifies PDGF-induced motility in differentiated aortic smooth muscle cells by suppressing the expression and function of PTP1B.” American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology. (2008), 295(1): H163-H173. (Citations: 15)
- Kodigre, P., Dixit, M. and Rao, K.K. “ScoC and SinR negatively regulate epr by corepression in Bacillus subtilis.” Journal of Bacteriology, (2006) 188(17): 6425-6428. (Citations: 13)
- Dixit, M., Loot, A.E., Mohamed, A., Fisslthaler, B., Boulanger, C.M., Ceacareanu, B., Hassid, A., Busse, R., and Fleming, I. “ Gab1, SHP2 and Protein kinase A are crucial for the activation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase by fluid shear stress.” Circulation Research, (2005) 97: 1236-124. (Citations: 58)
- Fleming, I., Fisslthaler, B., Dixit, M., and Busse, R. “Role of PECAM-1 in the shear stress-induced activation of Akt and the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) in endothelial cells.” Journal of Cell Science, (2005) 118: 4103-4111. (Citations: 135)
- Zhuang, D., Ceacareanu, A.C., Lin, Y., Ceacareanu, B., Dixit, M., Chapmann, K.E., Waters, C.M., Rao, G.N., and Hassid, A. “Nitric oxide attenuates insulin- or IGF-I-stimulated aortic smooth muscle cell motility by decreasing H2O2 levels: essential role of cGMP.” American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology, (2004), 286: H2103-H2112. (Citations: 30)
- Dixit, M., Zhuang, D., Ceacareanu, B., and Hassid, A. “Treatment with insulin uncovers the motogenic capacity of nitric oxide in smooth muscle cells: dependence on Gab1 and Gab1-SHP2 association.” Ultra rapid Communications, Circulation Research, (2003),93 (10), e113-23. (Citations: 12)
- Chang, Y., Ceacareanu, B., Dixit, M., Nair, S., and Hassid, A. 2002. “Nitric Oxide- Induced Motility in Aortic Smooth Muscle cells, Role of Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase SHP-2 and GTP Binding Protein Rho.” Circulation Research, (2002), 91, 390-397. (Citations: 72)
- Dixit, M., Murudkar, C. S. and Rao, K.K. “epr is Transcribed from a σD Promoter and is Involved in Swarming of Bacillus subtilis.” Journal of Bacteriology, (2002), 184, No.2, 596-599. (Citations: 28)
Honours and Awards
- IIT Madras Institute Research and Development Award (IRDA) 2014
- IIT Madras Young Faculty Recognition Award (YFRA) 2013 for excellence in teaching
- Senior Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (Senior IYBA) 2011 by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2006 by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.