The primary objective of my research team is to elucidate molecular and cellular mechanisms of normal and aberrant function of blood vessels under physiological and patho-physiological conditions respectively. The key areas we focus on are endothelial dysfunction, atherosclerosis and edema. In order to obtain a holistic picture on these issues we subscribe to the following approaches:
- High through put screening for identification of changes in gene expression from clinical samples.
- In vitro tissue culture experiments to identify signaling intermediates altered under pathological settings. For this we employ primary cultures of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs), and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs).
- Validation of in vitro data through in vivo animal experiments.
- Use of viral vector based gene delivery systems to rectify the faulty functioning of the signaling intermediates.
Selected Peer-reviewed publications:
- Potunuru, U.R., Vishnu Priya, K., Sai Varsha, M.K.N., Mehta, N., Chandel, S., Manoj, N., Raman, T., Ramar, M., Gromiha, M.M. and Dixit, M*. “Amarogentin, a secoiridoid glycoside, activates AMP-activated kinase (AMPK) to exert beneficial vasculo-metabolic effects.” BBA-General Subjects. (2019), 1863: 1270-1282.
- Karunya, R., Jayaprakash, K.S., Gaikwad, R., Sajeesh, P., Ramshad, K., Muraleedharan, K.M., Dixit, M., Thangaraj, P.R. and Sen A.K*.”Rapid measurement of hydrogen sulphide in human plasma using a microfluidic method. Scientific Reports (2019), 9: 3258.
- Ramachandran, B., Chakraborty, C., Dixit, M. and Muthuvijayan, V*. “A comparative study of polyethylene terephthalate surface carboxylation techniques: Characterization, in vitro haemocompatibility and endothelialization.” Reactive and Functional Polymers. (2018), 122: 22-32.
- Raj, A., Dixit, M., Doble, M., and Sen, A.K*. “A combined experimental and theoretical approach towards mechanophenotyping of biological cells using a constricted microchannel.” Lab on a Chip. (2017), 17(21): 3704-3716.
- Nathan, A.A., Dixit, M., Babu, S. and Balakrishnan, A.S*. “Comparison and functional characterization of peripheral blood mononuclear cells isolated from filiarial lymphedema and endemic normals of a South Indian population”. Tropical Medicine and International Health. (2017), 22(11): 1414-1427.
- Kowshik, J., Mishra, R., Sophia, J., Rautray, S., Anbarasu, K., Reddy, G.D., Dixit, M., Mahalingam, S., and Nagini, S*. “Nimbolide upregulates RECK by targeting miR-21 and HIF-1α in cell lines and in a hamster oral carcinogenesis model.” Scientific Reports. (2017), 7(1): 2045. [Citations: 3]
- Allanki, S*.,Dixit, M., Thangaraj, P.R. and Sinha, NK. “Analysis and modelling of septic shock microarray data using Singular Value Decomposition.” Journal of Biomedical Informatics. (2017), 70:77-84.
- Baba, A.B., Kowshik, J., Krishnaraj, J., Sophia, D., Dixit, M. and Nagini, S*. “Blueberry inhibits invasion and angiogenesis in 7, 12-dimethylbenzen[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced oral squamous cell carcinogenesis in hamsters via suppression of TGF-β and NFƙ-B signaling pathways.” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. (2016), 35: 37-47. [Citations: 4]
- Kiranmayi, M., Chirasani, V.R., Allu, P.K., Subramanian, L., Martelli, E.E., Sahu, S.S., Vishnuprabhu, D., Kumaragurubaran, R., Sharma, S., Bodhini, M., Dixit, M., Munirajan, A.K., Khullar, M., Radha, V., Mohan, V., Mullasari, A.S., Naga Prasad, S.V., Senapati, S. and Mahapatra, N.R*. “Catestatin Gly364Ser variant alters systemic blood pressure and the risk of of Hypertension in Human populations via Endothelial Nitic Oxide pathway.” Hypertension. (2016), 68(2): 334-347. [Citations: 6]
- Rathnakumar, K., Savant, S., Giri, H., Ghosh, A., Fisslthaler, B., Fleming, I., Ram, U., Bera, A.K., Augustin, H.G., and Dixit, M*. “Angiopoietin-2 mediates thrombin-induced monocyte adhesion and endothelial permeability.” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. (2016), 14(8): 1655-1657.
- Venugopalan, A., Potunuru, U.R., Dixit, M. and Srivastava, S*. “Effect of fermentation parameters, elicitors and precursors on camptothecin production from the endophyte Fusarium solani.” Bioresource Technology. (2016), 206: 104-111. [Citations: 10]
- Kesavan, R., Chandel, S., Upadhyay, S., Bendre, R., Ganugula, R., Potunuru, U.R., Giri, H., Sahu, G., Kumar, U.P., Reddy, G.B., Joksic, G., Bera, A.K. and Dixit, M*. “Gentianalutea exerts anti-atherosclerotic effects by preventing endothelial inflammation and smooth muscle cell migration.” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. (2016), 26(4): 293-301. [Citations: 7]
- Upadhyay S* and Dixit, M. “Role of polyphenols and other phytochemicals in molecular signaling.” Accepted in Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. (2015), 2015:504253. Article ID: 504253. [Citations: 66]
- Nathan AA, CharanTej MA, Chitilprolu M, Rangan S, Mohan V, Harish R, Anand SB and Dixit M*. “Impaired glucose tolerance alters functional ability of peripheral blood-derived mononuclear cells in Asian Indian men.” Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research.(2015), 12(1): 13-22. [Citations: 2]
- Kowshik J, Baba AB, Giri H, Deepak Reddy G, Dixit, M and Nagini, S*. “Astaxanthininhibits JAK/STAT-3 signalling to abrogate cell proliferation, invasion and angiogenesis in Hamster model of oral cancer.” PLoS One. (2014), 9(10): e109114. [Citations: 37]
- Kowshik J, Giri H, Kiran Kishore TK, Kesavan R, Vankudavath RN, Reddy GB, Dixit M*, and Nagini S*.”Ellagic acid inhibits VEGF/VEGFR2, PI3K/Akt, and MAPK signaling cascades in hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis model.” Anti-cancer agents in medicinal chemistry. (2014), 14(9): 1249-1260. [Citations: 26]
- Thiyagarajan, K., Kavitha, K., Avaneesh, Dixit, M. and Nagini, S*. “Dietary chlorophyllin abrogates TGF beta signaling to modulate the hallmark capabilities of cancer in an animal model of fore stomach carcinogenesis.” 2014, Tumor Biology (2014), Jul; 35(7): 6725-37. [Citations: 4]
- Giri, H., Chandel, S., Dwarakanath, L., Sreekumar, S. and Dixit, M*. “Increased endothelial inflammation, sTie-2 and arginase activity in gestational diabetes.” PLoS One. (2013), 8(12): e84546. [Citations: 13]
- Gupta, M*.,Dixit, M., and Rao, K.K. “SpoOA positively regulates epr expression by negating the repressive effect of co-repressor SinR and ScoC in Bacillus subtilis.” Journal of Bioscience. (2013), Jun; 38(2): 291-9. [Citations: 3]
- Potunuru, U.R., Rushendhiran, K., Ganugula, R., Avaneesh, T., Reddy, B. and Dixit, M*. “Ellagic acid (EA) inhibits PDGF-BB induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and prevents atheroma formation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. (2013), Nov; 24(11):1830-9. [Citations: 29]
- Rushendhiran, K., Potunuru, U.R., Nastasijevic, B., Avaneesh, T., Joksic, G. and Dixit, M*. “Inhibition of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation by Gentianalutea root extracts.” PLOS One. (2013), 8(4): e61393. [Citations: 25]
- Abhijit, S., Bhaskaran, R., Narayanasamy, A., Chakroborty, A., Manickam, N., Dixit, M., Mohan, V., and Balasubramanyam, M*. “Hyperinsulinemia-induced vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration and proliferation is mediated by converging mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress.” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. (2012), 373 (1-2): 95-105. [Citations: 36]
- Giri, H., Illayaraja, M., Dhar, M., Rathnakumar, K., Uma, R., and Dixit, M*. “Protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP2 mediates chronic insulin induced endothelial inflammation.” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology. (2012), 32: 1943-1950. [Citations: 23]
- Bairgai, S., Gopal, J., Nathan, A.A., Babu, Pavan Kumar, N., and Dixit, M*. “Glucose induced increase in circulating progenitor cells is blunted in anovulatory subjects.” Human Reproduction. (2012), Mar; 27(3):844-53. [Citations: 5]
- Nathan, A.A., Mohan, V., Babu, S., Bairagi, S., and Dixit, M*. “Glucose challenge increases circulating progenitor cells in Asian Indian male subjects with normal glucose tolerance which is compromised in subjects with pre-diabetes: A pilot study.” BMC Endocrine disorders</>span. (2011), Jan 11; 11(1): 2. [Citations: 7]
- Anuradha, S., Mohan, V*.,Gokulakrishnan, K., and Dixit, M. “Angiopoietin-2 levels in glucose intolerance, hypertension, and metabolic syndrome in Asian Indians (Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study-74).” Metabolism Clinical and Experimental. (2010), 59(6):774-9. [Citations: 22]
- Zhuang, D., Pu Q., Ceacareanu, B., Chang Y., Dixit, M., and Hassid, A*. “Chronic insulin treatment amplifies PDGF-induced motility in differentiated aortic smooth muscle cells by suppressing the expression and function of PTP1B.” American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology. (2008), 295(1): H163-H173. [Citations: 19]
- Randriamboavonjy, V., Pistrosch, F., Bölck, B., Schwinger, R.H., Dixit, M., Badenhoop, K., Cohen, R.A., Busse, R., and Fleming, I*. “Platelet sarcoplasmic endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase and mu-calpain activity are altered in type 2 diabetes mellitus and restored by rosiglitazone.” Circulation(2008), 117(1):52-60. [Citations: 90]
- Dixit, M., Bess, E., Fisslthaler, B., Hartel, F.V., Noll, T., Busse, R., and Fleming, I*. “Shear stress induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase regulates FoxO1a and angiopoietin-2 in endothelial cells.” Cardiovascular Research, (2008) 77(1): 160-168. [Citations: 59]
Dixit, M., Manivannan, P.V., Rathnakumar, K. and Abhiram, M. “Indigenous cone plate device for applying laminar shear to cultured mammalian cells.” Patent Application Number: 5458/CHE/2013 dated 27/11/2013. (Dixit, M and Rathnakumar, K were involved in designing and fabricating the instrument, Manivannan, P.V. programmed the controller and Abhiram, M. validated the instrument).
- Dixit, M*. Book chapter titled “Anti-diabetic Drugs” in Drug Design Basics and Applications published by Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited. [ISBN (13): 978-0-07-068076-0].
- Chanel, S., Tiwari, R.K. and Dixit, M*. Book chapter titled “Endothelial dysfunction in Diabetes” in Mechanisms of Vascular Defects in Diabetes Mellitus part of Advances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease volume 17: 109-128, published by Spinger. [ISBN: 978-3-319-60324-7].
Honours and Awards
- IIT Madras Institute Research and Development Award (IRDA) 2014
- IIT Madras Young Faculty Recognition Award (YFRA) 2013 for excellence in teaching
- Senior Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (Senior IYBA) 2011 by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2006 by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.